Moving from an early childhood education and care setting into school can be exciting but sometimes daunting time for children and their families.
We believe a successful transition to school is critical for all children. Successful transitions are supported by collaborative partnerships between the child and their family, the kindergarten setting, the prep setting, Principals and the wider community.
We offer a range of support to help your child and family successfully transition to school. These include:
- A practice school day where children preparing for Prep come dressed in their new school uniform and participate in school-like activities;
- Teachers from local Primary Schools come to Holy Family to observe the children in their day care environment;
- Government provided orientation packs distributed to children.
We encourage families to:
- Walk past the school so your child knows what their new school looks like
- Learn the names for break times such as Big Lunch or Second Break as this will help your child when they start school
- Practice opening and closing lunch box lids and filling water bottles
- Work together to label and name school books, items and uniforms, so your child knows how to identify them if lost
- Show your child where you will pick them up each day, and what to do if they can’t see you at pick up time
- Talk about staying safe at school
- Reassure your child that if they are unsure of anything to ask an adult.